Saturday, October 27, 2012

Italian Hard Salt And Pepper Bagels

My Mother has made these for years.  Very good and probably not so healthy.   But I will only eat a couple at a time.     If you believe that, I have a bridge for sale.

This is the recipe my mother gave to me in the exact words she wrote it.


Salt And Pepper Bagels
5 Pounds Flour
2 1/2 Tablespoons Salt
5 Tablespoons Black Pepper
2 Cups Oil
3 Packages Dry Yeast
4 1/2 Cups Warm Water
Melt the yeast in the water in a bowl and set aside (you will add this last)
Mix Flour, Salt and black pepper together in a very large bowl.
Add oil and make dough crumbly
Add yeast and water mixture
Knead for about 5 minutes (you may need to add more water, I always do)
You do not have to let this raise, just roll a little dough and make a small bagel like form.
 
When you have the pan full of bagels, put an egg white wash on them
 
Place on greased baking sheet and bake at 350* for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown
 



No comments:

Post a Comment